A Comprehensive Guide for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A Comprehensive Guide for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning

If you have unsafe gas appliances installed at your house then there is a high probability that it can produce an extremely hazardous gas known as carbon monoxide (CO). The gas is extremely unsafe, and can also be life threatening upon exposure. Further, many chronic diseases are also caused by carbon monoxide exposure.
Carbon monoxide is produced when natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) is completely burnt. Such a situation arises when the gas appliance is fitted incorrectly, poor maintenance or badly repaired. Further, it can also arise due to a blockage in the vents, or chimneys. Fuels that include petrol, oil, wood and coal can also produce carbon monoxide.

The carbon monoxide poisoning tends to occur when the oxygen is replaced by the gas in the bloodstream upon exposure. If oxygen is not present in your body, cells will start to die. Therefore, even insignificant amount of carbon monoxide can cause poisoning along with other long term effects such as paralysis.

The common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include nausea, collapse, losing consciousness, sudden breathlessness, headaches or dizziness. Many times, individuals are not aware of the symptoms which can be life threatening. Therefore, by learning about the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning can save lives globally.
It needs to be understood that the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are quite similar to fatigue, flu, viral infections or food poisoning. Thereby, it gets difficult for people to easily distinguish between a normal infection, and fatal poisoning.

Other symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are the signs appearing only when you are home, and normalising upon leaving. Similarly, if your pets are facing a similar health condition in the same time frame, then it is another indicator of the poisoning.

Preventive Measures to Take If You Suspect Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

• Immediately get access to fresh air, open all ventilations within your household, turn all gas appliances off and vacate the building.
• Visit a medical professional immediately and tell them that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. They will conduct a breath and blood test to diagnose further.
• Contact a plumbing service in Norfolk and Norwich immediately. Request the plumbing expert to thoroughly inspect the gas appliances to determine if there is any severe problem.

Try to find qualified, licensed and insured heating and plumbing service such as All Star System for great emergency services. The company will send an expert to your location who will diagnose all persisting issues and offer solutions that eliminate the condition at the earliest without denting your budget. They will strive hard to offer greater value for money, and make the environment safe again.

The Precautionary Sign Indicating a Carbon Monoxide Leakage:

If you observe any of the signs listed below, your house may have a carbon monoxide leakage:

• If your gas hob is showing orange or lazy yellow flames, instead of blue.
• The pilot light blowing out frequently,
• Dark stains found around appliances.
• The condensation around windows increasing.

Faulty appliances at your household can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. It is advised to get your gas appliances checked on regular intervals.
Avoiding CO Poisoning With a Carbon Monoxide Alarm.

If your house is at the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, or you desire to take precautionary measures, investing in an audible carbon monoxide alarm is a smart choice. The alarm will ring if it detects poisonous gas in the environment.

While this is a good precautionary measure, but you shouldn’t consider it an alternative to appliance servicing and maintenance. However, a carbon monoxide alarm acts as a strong defense acknowledging about the threat that exists.

These modern alarms have striking similarities with a smoke alarm. It is available easily at most stores and supermarkets and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. Make sure that the alarm you purchase has an EN 50291 inscription, along with a European approval organisation’s mark and Standards Kite mark on it. It is not advised to use the ‘black spot detector’. Such detectors are not quite efficient and can cause damage when you are asleep.

It is advised to fit an alarm in all rooms wherever there is a gas appliance. Moreover, get it installed by a professional so that it complies with the instructions of the manufacturer. Generally, a battery operated alarm has a battery life of 5 years. If you are not sure about which alarm to invest in, consult a Gas Safe engineer for advice.

Share this post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *